Welcome to the Royal Air Force Museum Laarbruch - Weeze e.V.
Museum for Peace and Friendship
Friday, Saturday and Sunday 14:00 to 17:00 hrs
Re-opening after winter break: 4 March 2022
The entrance fee is € 3,– for adults, and children up to 14 years of age are free of charge.
Groups are welcome at any time, but are requested to make an appointment for a conducted tour (€ 5,–)
Rod Hawkins +49 2832 70158 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Heinz Willi Knechten +49 178 1356324 – email@example.com
Donations are welcome:
Lloyds Bank Canterbury
Lloyds TSB 30-64-57
BLZ: 322 500 50
Konto Nr.: 700412729
BIC: WELADED1GOCbeginning of
RAF Museum Laarbruch-Weeze e.V.
RAF Museum Laarbruch-Weeze Association
Germany’s first and only museum on the history of the Royal Air Force Germany (RAFG), invites you on a trip down memory lane to explore the 45 years history of the RAF Laarbruch and of course, not forgetting the Royal Air Force’s presence in Germany.
The museum houses numerous exhibits varying from aircraft that actually served at RAF Laarbruch. Two cockpits, anti-aircraft weapons, ejection seats, dioramas illustrating the different aircraft, that served at RAF Laarbruch, also uniforms and other memorabilia. Numerous publications/ documents show the presence of the British Military from 1945 to 1999, especially in the Lower Rhine region, and thus bringing an important chapter of local and post-war history to life and making it tangible.
The visitor can understand how, in more than four decades, occupiers and occupied became friends and allies. Both during the Cold War period and immediately thereafter, the Royal Air Force was a guarantor of security and peace, freedom and friendship.
The museum opened up to the general public in 2007, and is located in three diverse buildings , firstly the main building being the former Anglican church (St. Peter’s), this contains the history of Laarbruch, and also includes several cockpits ( Buccaneer, Canberra). Secondly the former Savings bank which is located next to the main (St Peter’s) building, this is dedicated to the RAF regiment. And then finally the ASTRA cinema , this building not only contains a Hawker Hunter T7, but other diverse memorabilia and material. It also shows the history of RAFG, from its beginnings in late 1945, right through until 2001, when Royal Air Force Bruggen, the last front line station, closed down as an active flying Station .
The Museum is located on the grounds of the civilian Airport Weeze.
Free Parking at Royal Air Force Museum Laarbruch
- For the “normal” museum visitor, an agreement has been made with the airport that a parking space behind the COVA building can be used free of charge for the duration of the museum visit.
- Four lanes lead to the barriers and cash gates.
- If you want to visit the museum, take the left lane, which is somewhat confusingly called “exit”.
- It goes straight on through the roundabout.
- Immediately to the right is a white building with a big 7 and the lettering “COVA”.
- Immediately behind this building you turn right.
- From the parking lot it is only a few steps across the road to the museum.
“Royal Air Force (RAF) Museum Laarbruch – Weeze e.V.” was founded on the 30th of January 2006 in Weeze. It is a non-profit organisation and is registered as such in the Register of Associations in Geldern.
Left to right: Norbert Thul, Rod Hawkins, H W Knechten, Manfred Beckers, Reinhard Janssen, Horst Gaulke, Dr. Bernd Ahlbrecht, Wolfgang Wißmach, Steve Freienstein
Missing: Mark Moodie, Hal Palmer, Dietmar Schmitz
At the General Meeting on the 25th of June 2021 the following members were elected to form a committee:
|Chairman||Heinz Willi Knechten, Weeze|
|Vice Chairman||Reinhard Janssen, Weeze|
|Treasurer||Norbert Thul, Weeze|
|Secretary||Horst Gaulke, Weeze|
|Assessor||Dr. Bernd-Rüdiger Ahlbrecht, Kevelaer|
|Assessor||Manfred Beckers, Geldern|
|Assessor||Steve Freienstein (Hill), ex RAF, Goch|
|Assessor||S/L Rod Hawkins MBE RAF(Rtd.), Kevelaer|
|Assessor||Mark Moodie, ex RAF-Police, Nieuw-Bergen, NL|
|Assessor||Hal Palmer, Well, NL|
|Assessor||Dietmar Schmitz, Weeze|
|Assessor||Wolfgang Wißmach, Weeze|